Things of Interest

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Mikel Can't Risk Chelsea Job For Nigeria

Amodu excused Mikel from Nigeria's last two engagements - a World Cup qualifying match against Sierra Leone in Abuja and a friendly last month in Colombia.

"I have explained to the team (why I left him out) and they understand. I told them it could well be their turn next time. Remember we are not paying these players. If the clubs who are paying them so much money need them, we cannot afford to be selfish and put their jobs on the line. It's give and take," Amodu said in an interview published in FourFourTwo Nigeria Magazine.

"I was not in desperate need of him for those matches but when I am, I will be the first to put my foot down."

Amodu has met twice with Chelsea manager Luis Felipe Scolari and he admitted that they differ on Mikel's best position, whether as a defensive or attacking midfielder.

"Scolari feels he should play in front of the defence particularly in the absence of Michael Essien. I also played him in that position in the friendly match against Austria," Amodu said.

"Scolari admitted that he often has to shout at him to stay back in defence and not go forward.

"I want to believe that with the Eagles his best position is as an offensive midfielder even though he has the potentials to also play defensively."

He added: "The more positions he can play, the better for all of us.

"The problem will be how the player will quickly adjust when he plays for Chelsea and when he plays for Nigeria. That is the big challenge for both Scolari and myself."

No comments: